MCKINNEY VENTO & FOSTER YOUTH SUPPORT
Your local School District Liaison for the homeless:
Valeria Rico – McKinney-Vento Liaison
Your County Liaison for the homeless:
Elizabeth Tarango – Program Management for McKinney-Vento 510-670-7752
Your State Coordinator for the homeless:
Leanne Wheeler – State Coordinator, California Department of Education 1-866-856-8214
The McKinney-Vento Act (MKV) is a Federal Law that breaks down barriers for children and youth experiencing homelessness by providing immediate enrollment regardless of any missing (required) documents usually needed to enroll in school. It also ensures that children and youth under this act (MKV) have all the essentials to succeed in school.
This definition also includes:
- Children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason
- Children and youths who may be living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, shelters
- Children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
- Children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings, or
- Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are children who are living in similar circumstances listed above
These definitions apply for children/youth who are unaccompanied or with their parent/guardians.
If you are living in an unstable and irregular (homeless) situations please contact your District Liaison