SAN LEANDRO, CA – At this week’s Board of Education meeting, SLUSD trustees took unanimous action to plan a full, in-person return to instruction for the 2021-2022 school year if state and local health guidelines and conditions allow the district to do so. This would bring all students back to their schools five days a week in the upcoming school year, which starts on August 18.
Essential factors in this decision that were discussed at the meeting included:
- The high vaccination rate and ongoing vaccination availability for SLUSD staff
- The availability of vaccinations for students 16 years of age and older.
- The recent announcement of approved vaccinations for children 12 to 15 years of age
- The proven track record of SLUSD health and safety precautions throughout the reopening
- The health and safety infrastructure in place, including increased cleaning protocols, high-efficiency air filtration systems, and PPE stockpiles
- The challenges for teaching and school staff in supporting online learners, as well as in-person learners
- The shared need to maximize instructional time, especially in light of the enormous learning disruption all students experienced this year
“I want to thank the board for their clear direction and support with what I know is the right thing to do for our students, staff, and families,” said Mike McLaughlin, Superintendent “After this challenging year, our entire community deserves a clear target that will put students back into their classrooms with their teachers and peers where they belong.”
The district plans to share more details as the next year moves closer, including upcoming partnerships to provide vaccinations to all students who are eligible and potential options for those families who are not ready to return to school.
For the latest news from the San Leandro Unified School District, please visit slusd.us.
About the San Leandro Unified School District
The San Leandro Unified School District operates a comprehensive TK-12 program and an adult school at 13 campuses throughout San Leandro. The district educates its students by utilizing state-of-the-art technologies and innovative teaching strategies to help students achieve academic excellence and become collaborative and competitive in a global society. For more information, visit www.slusd.us.
CONTACT: Keziah Moss, Director of Community & Employee Engagement, (510) 667-6202, https://webdev.slusd.us/bancroft/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2020/08/Copy-of-First-Day-Sliderfirstname.lastname@example.org