Dear Jefferson Families,
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year at Jefferson Elementary, home of the Jaguars and our favorite color, purple! My name is Judith Alcalá, and I am your principal. First, I want to welcome all of our new families joining us this year. I wish that we were beginning school as a regular school year so that you could all experience this beautiful school community in person, but as we will be in full distance learning, meaning all classes and meetings will be online we will figure out other ways to foster our strong sense of community.
Second, we as a school staff, want to thank all of our returning families for their partnership and hard work through the last months of school. No one could have anticipated how this health crisis would impact schools, and just as our new families will learn soon, together as a school we pull together focused on our students and this is practice that will anchor us in these coming months. We as a school and as a district have listened to your input and have learned through our collective experiences about what we did right and what we could do better. In the coming days you will hear more from the central office, me, and your teachers regarding the details of daily student schedules, meal services, forums to communicate directly with me, and opportunities to share your input.
Below are the names and emails of your administration and office team with our emails. You can also reach us by phone and leave a message at our extensions.
- Judith Alcala, Principal: email@example.com
- Doris Castillo, Vice-Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Denise Potestio, Office Assistant: email@example.com
- Angie Castillo, Administrative Assistant:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gloria Fernandez, Parent Facilitator: email@example.com
Office Number: 510-618-4310
School Website: https://www.slusd.us/jefferson/
I will send out a formal newsletter within the first week of school. Meanwhile, here is some important information.
THE 1ST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR ALL STUDENTS IS MONDAY, AUGUST 17, 2020
- Students will have a daily schedule that will include instructional time with their classroom teacher
- All students will, if they have not already have the opportunity to pick up a Chromebook
- We will distribute classroom materials, some text books and chromebooks to students who need them on Thursday August 13th and Friday, August 14th. This will be set up as a drive through in front of the school. There will also be walk up areas that are set up with social distancing protocols. Walk-ups must be wearing a mask.
- Kindergarten: August 13th at 9 AM
- 1st Grade: August 13th at 10 AM
- 2nd Grade: August 13th at 11 AM
- 3rd Grade: August 14th at 9 AM
- 4th Grade: August 14th at 10 AM
- 5th Grade: August 14th at 11 AM
- Pre K: August 13 at 9 AM
- There will be additional distribution days as additional supplies are delivered
- The San Leandro Boys & Girls Clubs will be offering FREE Virtual Clubhouse academic support and engaging enrichment online –LIVE- activities during school closures. Activities will take place 3pm- 5:30pm DAILY. Registration is open to ASES and NON ASES families! Register Today at www.bgcsl.org.
- Finalized classroom assignments will be available in the Aeries Parent Portal on Monday, August 10th.
- You should have received a letter from the District Office explaining the process to enroll in Aeries Parent Portal and complete the Data Confirmation process. We are no longer allowed to post classroom assignments. You will be required to complete the Aeries Data Confirmation in the Parent Portal every school year.
I look forward to working with you to provide the best possible education for our children.